Art Deco in the Windy City
Where: Chicago, Illinois
About the Event:
Join the Art Deco Society of New York (ADSNY) and our hosts from the Chicago Art Deco Society (CADS) for three exciting days that will give a dazzling and informative look at Chicago’s extraordinary Art Deco architecture and 1920s and 1930s culture.
The Great Chicago Fire of 1871 may have erased thousands of buildings in the city; however, this tragedy made way for architectural visionaries, such as Louis Sullivan and Frank Lloyd Wright, to transform the city in the early decades of the twentieth century. By the 1920s, Chicago’s booming economy reflected the spirit of the Jazz Age through elegant and sophisticated Art Deco buildings that soared into the skies. In this in-depth exploration of the Windy City––designed just for ADSNY––we will discover how the buildings of Chicago influenced and reflected the history of American architecture and design.
Our point of departure for this adventure will be the 1928 Chicago Motor Club, now the Downtown Hilton Hampton Inn. This Art Deco gem was inspired by the 1925 Exposition internationale des arts décoratifs et industriels modernes, which can be seen in its limestone and terra cotta façade, cast-iron detailing that frames the entrance, and its frozen fountain motifs.
- Discounted rates at Downtown Hilton Hampton Inn, a landmarked Art Deco building
- Walking tour of downtown Chicago’s commercial Deco icons
- Bus tours of important architectural enclaves in the city and residential neighborhoods
- Boat tour to view Chicago from the water
- Group dinners in famed Chicago eateries A private museum exhibition tour
- Exclusive tours of important Frank Lloyd Wright architecture and design in Oak Park
- An evening at a renowned Chicago jazz club
- VIP experience at The Sculptural Objects, Functional Art, and Design Expo (SOFA) . . .
. . . and more!
Two nights at the Hampton Inn Chicago Downtown/N Loop/Michigan Avenue
- $189 for per room per night + tax
Programs begin early morning on November 2. Attendees are strongly encouraged to arrive by the evening of November 1.
You are responsible for booking your own hotel accommodations. While CADS has arranged special discounted pricing at the Downtown Hilton Hampton Inn––our host hotel––you have the option of staying anywhere of your choosing. However, most scheduled activities will begin and end at the host hotel.
Upon receipt of your deposit for the program, ADSNY will provide you with the discount code and instructions on how to contact the host hotel representative to reserve your room(s). The hotel has its own cancellation policies. Please check these policies when booking your stay.
The discounted rate at the host hotel will be honored for one day before and/or after the program.
Friday, November 2, 2018
Our tour begins Friday morning with a private docent tour of Modern by Design: Chicago Streamlines America at the Chicago History Museum. We will be among the first to see this exciting exhibition scheduled to open just days before our arrival. Following a private luncheon at the museum, we will be led on a guided walking tour of Downtown Deco, where we will see the Art Deco architecture and design that dramatically transformed Chicago in the 1920s and 30s.
Highlights of the afternoon will include visits to:
- The office tower that once served as the Chicago headquarters of the Union Carbide and Carbon Corporation
- A stellar Art Deco building on Michigan Avenue that overlooks the Chicago River and the Michigan Avenue Bridge
- The Chicago Board of Trade, located at the foot of LaSalle Street, Chicago’s financial center, which was the tallest building in the city when it was completed in 1930
- A sleek vertical Art Deco office tower that was one of the few construction projects underway during the years of the Great Depression
- A North LaSalle Street gem with a glorious lobby of walls sheathed in green-black marble, bronze grilles, and chevron and sunburst motifs on the plaster ceiling
No visit to Chicago would be complete without a visit to a jazz club––this evening we will enjoy local specialties while listening to Chicago’s top jazz artists.
As a perfect compliment to the day’s activities, attendees will receive a copy of the beautifully illustrated new book by the Chicago Art Deco Society––Art Deco Chicago: Designing Modern America, edited by Robert Bruegmann––that explores Chicago’s contribution to the development of modern architecture, graphic design, and product design during the interwar years.
Saturday, November 3, 2018
Our morning begins with a docent-led bus tour to explore Art Deco architecture in other areas of the Windy City, including Oak Park and Hyde Park. On our way to Oak Park we will see an elegant rare example of Art Deco residential architecture on Astor Street in Chicago’s Gold Coast Historic District
Our activities in Oak Park include:
- A guided tour of Wright’s home––where he experimented with design concepts––and his adjacent studio, where the Prairie style was developed
- We will see the Unity Temple, designed in the Oak Park Studio and considered the greatest public building of Wright’s Prairie era and other important Wright homes
- Box lunches will be available at Wright’s Home and Studio
We will then travel to Hyde Park to visit Frank Lloyd Wright’s Robie House, a masterpiece of the Prairie style and an icon of modern architecture. Our guide will offer insights into spaces designed by Wright over one hundred years ago.
Sites in Hyde Park include:
- A unique garage that features rich automotive imagery on its façade
- A 22-story luxury Art Deco apartment building overlooking Lake Michigan
We return to the host hotel before we set out for our evening’s family style dinner in a private room at Maggiano’s, one of Chicago’s acclaimed Italian restaurants.
Sunday, November 4, 2018
We depart this morning for an architectural cruise along the Chicago River with a special guide who will give us a distinctive perspective of the Chicago skyline and the city’s most iconic structures.
After the architectural river cruise, we will head to Festival Hall at the Navy Pier where attendees will receive V.I.P private tour, as special guests at SOFA––the Sculptural Objects, Functional Art and Design Show––taking place that weekend in Chicago. One of the nation’s most important annual design shows, SOFA features the works of the finest decorative arts designers, artisans, and artists from around the world, working from the mid-twentieth century to the present day in furniture, ceramics, glass, textiles, and fine art.
Following the tour, the program officially concludes at SOFA so that attendees may enjoy the expo at their own pace.
Registration and Fees:
$1,190.00 per person
Attendees must submit a non-refundable deposit of $500 to secure your reservation. Full payment is due by Friday, September 21, 2018.
Program price includes:
- All tours
- All admissions
- All gratuities
- All breakfasts for those staying at the host hotel
- All lunches
- Two dinners at quintessentially Chicago restaurants
- One glass of wine with each of dinners
- Travel by deluxe motor coach for selected planned activities
- A complimentary copy of Art Deco Chicago: Designing Modern America, the beautifully illustrated new book by the Chicago Art Deco Society
Program price does not include:
- Travel to and from Chicago
- Ground transportation to and from airport/train station
- Hotel accommodations
- Non-scheduled visits and activities
This tour is limited in size and is exclusively for current ADSNY members. If your membership has lapsed or you are not a current member, your registration will not be valid until you renew or join. You can check your membership status by emailing Info@ArtDeco.org or you can renew online at ArtDeco.org.
Space is extremely limited, so you are urged to reserve your place quickly. Reservations are on a first-come, first-served basis. As soon as we receive your deposit and completed Registration Form for the program, we will send you detailed information on the host hotel and discount codes. For those who wish to extend their stay in Chicago, ADSNY can connect you with local tour operators for pre- and/or post-program tours.
All payments made by check should be made out to:
Art Deco Society of New York
Checks and completed Registration Forms should be mailed to:
Art Deco Society of New York
P.O. Box 6205,
New York, NY 10150-6205
Please note: There is a $50.00 processing fee for each ticket to this program that is processed online. Once you select your ticket type and press the “Add to Cart” button, you will see a $50.00 per ticket processing fee. This processing fee is labeled “Shipping.”
You can register through PayPal. You don’t have to join PayPal to pay with your credit card.
• Click the “Add to Cart” button above
• At PayPal: click on “I don’t have a PayPal account”
• Follow steps as indicated