Art Deco in Manhattan’s East Fifties
Where: Exact Meeting Location to be announced to those who
Where: register the week prior to the event.
About the Event:
Join us as architectural historian and Deco expert, Tony Robins, leads us on a new ADSNY tour exploring the varied Art Deco architecture along Manhattans East Fifties from Beekman Place to Rock Center.
On this tour, we will visit a handful of Art Deco and modernistic residential buildings that range from apartment houses designed for the fabulously wealthy, such as River House, to the more modestly middle-class residences of the equally beautiful Southgate apartments.
Highlights will also include:
- Panhellenic Tower, originally designed to be a redoubt for young professional women taking on the big city in the 1920s
- The over-the-top, original General Electric Building, which reflects the modernity of its original tenants
- The Waldorf Astoria, New York’s preeminent skyscraper hotel that is currently undergoing a massive restoration and conversion project
- The delightful Goelet Building, New York’s best kept Deco secret.
- Rockefeller Center, one of the most famous Art Deco centers in the world
This tour is guaranteed to fill. Register today to make sure you do not miss out!
Personal audio devices will be available for each tour participant to enhance the overall experience.
About the Guide:
Anthony W. Robins has been guiding natives and visitors to the city’s wonders of steel and stone for twenty-five years. He has led hundreds of walking tours of New York history and architecture. A founding member of ADSNY, Robins created the Society’s original tour program in 1981. In 2017, the Guides Association of New York City honored him with the “Guiding Spirit Award.” He lectures on New York history and architecture to audiences both in the United States and abroad, teaches various levels of students about architecture and the development of New York City, and has authored five books and a number of short guide books, as well as many newspaper and magazine articles. His latest award-winning book, New York Art Deco: A Guide to Gotham’s Jazz Age Architecture, explores Art Deco throughout the five boroughs.
This event is now full. If you would like to be added to the waitlist, please email the name of the event, your name, and the number of tickets you would like to Events@ArtDeco.org
Jazz Age Order Members: $29.00
Jazz Age Order Guest: $44.00