Exploring the Archives of the
Fashion Institute of Technology
Where: Fashion Institute of Technology
Where: 227 West 27th Street, New York, NY 10001
About the Event:
Current ADSNY members are invited for a rare opportunity to see dazzling treasures from the Fashion Institute of Technology’s expansive special collection!
In this exclusive program, Professor NJ Bradeen, Director of the FIT Library, and Karen Jamison Trivette, Head of Special Collections and College Archives at the FIT, will lead a small group of ADSNY members on a tour the prestigious institution’s 6100 square foot space, including the secure storage vaults, and provide a more in-depth demonstration of select one-of-a-kind materials in a more intimate reading room.
Highlights will include:
- Stunning, color fashion plate from the 1926 Les Idées Nouvelles
- Joseph Whitehead sketches and period photographs of luxurious fashion ensembles from the 1920s
- Edouard Benito’s masterful color illustrations from the 1920 La Dernière Lettre Persane
- Paul Iribe’s famous 1930 Choix, in which the French illustrator, cartoonist, designer, decorator and art director explains that the genius of French design lies in what he refers to as the principe de l’arabesque––principle of the arabesque
- Captivating Art Deco designs and patterns from Gaston Charlet’s 1925 La decoration moderne dans le textile
- 1930s materials from the American Union of Decorative Artists and Craftsmen
- Works by Maurice Dufrène, Guillaume Janneau, Paul Léon, Dorothy Todd, Raymond Mortimer and more critiquing and cataloguing materials, designs, principles, etc. from the 1925 Exposition internationale des arts décoratifs et industriels modernes
…just to name a few!
Space for this program is extremely limited and is sure to fill quickly. We encourage you to claim your space today.
About the Speakers:
Professor NJ Bradeen has been the Director of the FIT Library since 2002. Prior to spending the last twenty years in academic libraries, he had been librarian in a range of positions at several institutions including The Ohio State University, NY Academy of Medicine, Columbia University, and 9 years as the Associate Library Director at NYU Medical Center in NYC.
Professor Karen Jamison Trivette is the Head of Special Collections and College Archives (SPARC) in the Gladys Marcus Library at the Fashion Institute of Technology. She holds a Master of Library Science with a concentration in Archives and Records Management from the University at Albany and has worked primarily in art libraries and art archives. Trivette edited the publication Fashion Plates: 150 Years of Style (2015), which was sourced from SPARC holdings, and has presented at many conferences, both national and international in scope. She recently oversaw a $4 million dollar renovation of the entire SPARC footprint, bringing it to a state-of-the-art condition for its valuable holdings.
This event is now full. To add your name to the wait list please email the name of the event, your name, and your desired number of tickets to Events@ArtDeco.org.